A good desktop Wi-Fi card for Fedora 10

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 20:19:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM, William M. Quarles <walrus at bellsouth.net>wrote:

> Does anybody know of a good desktop PCI wireless ethernet card that I can
> buy and use with Fedora 10? I bought a new OEM HP Atheros-based wireless
> card, but it conflicts with my Sigma Designs REALMagic Hollywood Plus
> DVD/MPEG-2 decoder card, both in Windows XP Pro and in Fedora 10. Also,
> since I am trying to do a dual-boot setup, I couldn't get good drivers for
> Windows XP for the card. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> William

I don't currently use Wi-Fi on my desktop(s)... since I cabled my home with
five gigabit-ethernet sockets per room. :-)

But when I did use Wi-Fi, I used cardbus cards hooked to pci-to-cardbus
adapters.

Here's some:

Addonics ADPCICB2 - $49
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023LTKK?ie=UTF8&tag=mnmsprst-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00023LTKK

And
D-Link A/G Wi-Fi Cardbus adapter - $11.78
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001PFO3C?ie=UTF8&tag=mnmsprst-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0001PFO3C

Total: $60.78

This also gives you the flexibility of exchanging Wi-Fi cards when new
standards arrive, or exchanging cards in case of trouble, without opening up
the case.

(Cardbus cards are, for all intents and purposes, the same as PCI)

Of course, there's also USB Wi-Fi dongles but in my experience those don't
match the range of cardbus cards (antenna design, or power limits,
perhaps?).

FC