Custom installation of Fedora

Steve Berg sberg at mississippi.com
Sun Aug 23 01:49:33 UTC 2009

> Thank you Tom,
> As I stated in my previous response to Bruno Wolf,  I would love to know of a way to do this to 20-30 systems per day via a kickstart server so I do not even have to interact with the machine other than boot it via the kickstart CD or floppy and let it rip ... I yet have to see a kickstart automatic menu that comes with each Fedora release to make this workable. A kickstart ISO image for installing all options for the release  would be great!

Do one system the hard way.  You should end up with a file
(/root/anaconda-ks.cfg) that will give a good start on a kickstart that
anaconda will use to install all the RPM's you wish.

I do multiple installs every week at work.  The kickstart I use has just
about everything I need listed with the exception of partitioning.
Takes me about 3 minutes to reboot the system to a pxeboot server, setup
the partitions I need on that particular system and then I click "Next"
and walk away.

If I weren't too concerned about how anaconda partitions I could
automate that part as well but the current state of anaconda has removed
some options previously available.  For a standard one harddrive
computer it probably works nicely.  But a system with 4 harddrives using
software RAID it's a bit on the braindead side.