YPBIND Failure

Markus Kesaromous remotestar at live.com
Mon Aug 24 02:12:52 UTC 2009

> Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 19:19:31 -0600
> From: ashley at pcraft.com
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: YPBIND Failure
>

> I'm trying to replace an old server (still running RH7.3) with a new
> one (running FC11). For the most part, everything works ... except the
> YP setup. The way things are configured is that this machine is the YP
> master, and then I have a 3rd machine that's binding to it to get the
> user information it needs. As far as I can tell, all the configuration
> files and everything is setup identical as the old machine ... except,
> the 3rd machine has issues. When I launch ypbind, it binds properly, no
> errors. However, when I test logging in with a user, it tells me the
> password failed. So obviously there's something wrong. It's almost as
> if the password map isn't being passed or checked, but for the life of
> me I can't figure out why.
>
> Is there still someone out there who knows enough about YP that can
> help me track this puppy down? Thanks!

In /etc/nsswitch.conf  on the master,  do you have:

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:       files

and on the clients, it should be

passwd:    nisplus nis files
shadow:    nisplus nis files
group:      nisplus nis files

Also, I assume you have preserved the same domain as before the update to fc11??

Cheers,

MK