Pulseaudio config problem.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 25 01:20:11 UTC 2009

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 24/08/09 21:50, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> It is configured to do that by default. Your sound cards should be
>> listed in the Output Devices tab of pavucontrol. It will not be
>> listed as Alsa but it will show each output card Alsa knows about,
>> as well as any network output streams you have set up. You will see
>> the Alsa input cards on the Input Devices tab, as well as incoming
>> network streams.
>
> In the Output Devices tab of pavucontrol I only see "RTP Multicast Sink" and
> "Internal Audio" and I don't know what they are. My output cards are Sound
> Fusion CS46xx and VIA 8237 and the latter is not used, in fact it is
> disabled in BIOS but a bug lets in stay enabled, so I need to be able to
> specify CS46xx.
>
> It's getting embarrassing. I still don't see how the various elements
> interact: the hardware sound cards, Alsa, PulseAudio, and the media player.
> I really don't think I ought to understand how they interact to get sound
> out of my speakers. But I am completely lost. I don't know where to start
> and where to end yet I am determined to find my way through the wilderness.
>
> I appreciate all the help you've given me but I haven't seen the light yet.

Dumb question - what do you get when you run "aplay -l"?

It looks like Alsa may not be configured correctly. For example, on
this machine I see "ATI IXP - ATI IXP AC97" under the Output Devices
tab. Under the Input Devices tab, I have "ATI IXP - ATI IXP AC97"
and "Brooktree Bt878 - Bt87x Digital" - I do not have any network
source/sinks set up on this machine.

The "RTP Multicast Sink" sends sound over the network. I am
surprised that you have it enabled...

Mikkel