Where is pulseaudio started?

Steve Blackwell zephod at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 25 18:59:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:07:00 -0700
stan <gryt2 at q.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:25:09 -0400
> Steve Blackwell <zephod at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> I am not a pulse expert, but will take a stab at this as I have been
> wrestling with it for a while.
>
> > I can't find any reference to pulseaudio in any init file
>
> Not init. You can configure it to start a systemwide server, which I
> suspect is started by X.

Well the PID of Xorg on my system is

$ ps -ef | grep Xorg
root     16848 16841  0 Aug22 tty1     00:27:53 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -nr
-verbose -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-e1NCi1/database -nolisten tcp
vt1

so if Xorg started pulseaudio then I would expect the PPID of
pulseaudio to be 16848 but it's not.

$ ps -ef | grep pulseaudio
steve    30603     1  0 Aug23 ?        00:07:25 /usr/bin/pulseaudio
--start --log-target=syslog

The PPID is 1 which is the PID of init.

$  ps -ef | grep init
root         1     0  0 Aug13 ?        00:00:02 /sbin/init

> > So where does it get started?
>
> If you are using the default Fedora setup, you have your own version
> of pulse started when you log in.  I notice that it also can be
> started by programs that need its services, and that seems to be
> gconf-helper.
>
> No representation as to validity of the above, might contain wild
> supposition and unsubstantiated misinformation. If you want pulse
> information, go to the horses mouth
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/

That what got me started looking into this. There have been so many
problems reported with pulseaudio, I decided I needed to look into how
it worked a little closer.

Steve