Pulseaudio config problem.

stan gryt2 at q.com
Tue Aug 25 22:51:03 UTC 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 22:24:57 +0200
"Erik P. Olsen" <epodata at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no idea whether digital output should be turned on or off. It
> has never been an issue before (up to Fedora 10 that is). Actually I
> don't even know the mechanism for turning it off.

No idea?  It should be turned off.  Run
alsamixer -c 1
and use the arrow keys to go to the entries that have IEC958 in them.
Use 0 to turn them off, and down arrow to lower volumes if necessary.
Do the same procedure with
alsamixer -c 0

> Using pavucontrol -> Configuration I see two lines both saying
> "internal Audio". Do they refer to the two sound cards? And if so
> which is which?

They refer only to the internal audio card that you want pulse to use.
One of them is probably analog, and one of them is probably digital.
After the above you should only have the analog entry.

> In the tab "Output Devices" I also see two areas, the first named
> "Simultaneous output or internal Audio" and the next "internal
> Audio". Which devices do they relate to?

The internal sound device, the one on the motherboard.

It doesn't sound like you need to disable the CS46 in pulse because it
isn't seeing it anyway, though alsa is.  There is probably a bug there,
but it suits your purposes.

So after the above adjustments, if you use a sound application, say
audacity, and go into Edit -> Preferences and change the output device
to alsa hw:1,0, import a sound file, it should play.  Or do the
equivalent with another sound application.  And aplay -D plughw:1,0
some.wav should play sound.  If the CS46 card is connected to speakers
or an amp or tuner (i.e. it has a way to actually *play* the sound).