change login screen

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Wed Aug 26 02:04:53 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-08-25 at 15:22 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> Yea, I want to know where this list is of actual documented cases of
>> people screwing up their systems by using GUI tools in ways they
>> couldn't have with the command line (rm -rf / was a well known warning
>> before there even was a GUI :-).
>>

> The common problem was people screwing up themselves.
>
> They'd log in as root, do everything as root, all their personal files
> were owned as root.  The moment they tried to log in as themselves, they
> couldn't use their own files.  And would use that to justify why they
> needed to log in as root.  Instead of acknowledging that they'd stupidly
> painted themselves into the corner, in the first place.

Indeed....  I've had to clean up after similar incidents...
> That and an incomprehension about system setting versus personal
> configuration settings.

Yep....    I've not logged in as root under Gnome or KDE in many years....

I always chuckle to myself when hear some folks defend their choice.
Reminds of folks that think walking around with a loaded gun and the
safety off...."I know what I'm doing.  I never had a problem".  (Yet)  :-)
> To use a Fedora computer, you don't need to be root.  I haven't come
> across a single application that needs you to be root to USE it.

The only application that comes close, that I could think of, is
wireshark.  It needs to be run a root for it to be useful.  BUT, it
certainly doesn't need you to be logged in as root.  As all well thought
out apps it will pop up the dialog box to enter the root pw.