Removing one drive from a RAID 1 setup?

Mick M. off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 13:04:10 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 8/25/09, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to>
>   Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au>
> wrote:
> >
> > If I remove this drive, is it straightforward to
> continue using the
> > remaining drive (sdd) with it's normal ext3 partition
> and the data still
> > intact?
>
> It might mess up grub. But otherwise it should work.

I kind of did this.

I installed F11 to a raid-1 two sata drives.
I could not get it to boot, it wanted a BIOS ID.
My BIOS (MSI K9A2) lets me boot from raid, but it does not show up in the first screen.
The one with IDE/SATA drives shown.

Anyway I went into the BIOS and deleted the raid array.
When I tried to install F11 the drives were NOT detected by anaconda.

It seems that there are "ghost" dm partitions on them.
Anaconda sees them and dies.

I was able to install F10 and Mint, as well as XPx64, but not F11 or F12-alpha.

Apparently this is a known bug in anaconda.

So you may be able to fix up your drive and boot it, you most likely will not be able to install to it.

Mick M.