New "feature" after recent "yum update"

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Wed Aug 26 15:22:17 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 26 August 2009 15:35:37 Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > > Just to clarify, I have never seen this behavior on our Fedora 11
> > > system.  It started IMMEDIATELY after the recent updates that pulled
> > > KDE 4.3 in (I run KDE, by the way...)
> > >
> > > I have discovered quite a few new things so far after logging back in
> > > after the recent updates.  All of them that I have seen so far I
> > > really like.  This one I don't care for :)  I can see why it could be
> > > a good idea, but I don't like the fact that I am now forced to opt-out
> > > of this new (to me) feature instead of "opting-in"
> > >
> > > So my questions are as follows:
> > > 1. Where do I change the appropriate setting so that I can get things
> > > back to the way they were before the recent updates?
> > > 2. If a new RPM was pulled in with these updates that caused this new
> > > functionality, what is it's name?
> > >
> > > I will look for answers to these questions myself as well.
> > >
> > > Thank you for any help you can give me.
> >
> > Not much, I'm afraid.  I've been using 4.3 for a few weeks now and never
> > seen this behaviour.  You did re-start KDE, I see, but have you tried a
> > reboot, in case there was something from the old system still running and
> > causing a conflict?
> >
> > There are few things in Linux that require a reboot, but I always do one
> > after a kernel change, and after major changes to KDE.
>
> Hello Anne
> First of all, thank you for stepping in on an issue that you yourself have
> not even seen yet.  That is well appreciated :)
> After reading your reply, I rebooted and logged back in to KDE.  The result
> is exactly the same as I described in my first email on this subject.  The
> circle/exclamation mark DID NOT return to the applications that had
> originally had it and that I had opened before the reboot.  That is good :)
> Just for a test, I opened one the the applications that still had the
> circle/exclamation point over the icon, and the behavior was just like
> before the reboot: the application started immediately after I clicked
> "Continue"

If you can make a reasonably accurate guess as to what time you did this, can
you please check your logs - see if anything there gives a clue?  It's very
strange.

> One cool difference that I see after the same set of updates the resulted
> in the issue referred to in this thread is the change in the desktop effect
> "Wobbly Windows"  The wobble doesn't stop after the window is no longer
> being moved/resized.  It continues to wobble for a few moments...  Pretty
> cool :)

Since my laptop has a 4-year-old ATi display card I don't have much joy with
desktop effects :-) so I haven't seen that either.

> Anyway, I digress...
>
> Thanks again for  your help so far,

Haven't actually helped much, have I?  Still, if you can find anything at all
in the logs it would help us understand what happened.

Anne