DHCP configuration question

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Aug 26 22:21:58 UTC 2009

Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
>> Ok, dumb question, but given that my
>> /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.lease info shows that I'm clearly
>> getting a hostname and domain name, why does "hostname" return
>> localhost.localdomain (and "domainname" returns "(none)")?
>>
>> What do I need to enable to make this work?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Philip
>>

> Asked and answered:
>
> chkconfig NetworkManager off

Huh?  All that does is disable NetworkManager.  It won't affect the
hostname unless the dhclient script changes it for you or you have a
hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network and run the old network startup code
("chkconfig network on").
-          su -; find / -name someone -exec touch \{\} \;            -
-                          - The UNIX way of touching someone        -