PS3 Slim "does not support" Linux. Can it be worked-around?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 00:37:41 UTC 2009

I was very excited when I heard about the new low price of the PS3
"Slim" console.
However that didn't last long as Sony has indicated that unlike
previous versions, installing Linux on the PS3 is "not supported".
Why? they didn't say.

So... there go my hopes of getting a PS3 console to watch Blu-Ray
movies *and* install Fedora on it
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PlayStation#Status

Questions:
-Is this a firmware issue? Did they just remove the option to boot a
secondary OS from the menus? Can this be worked around?
-Can the PS3 "Slim" be made to run an older firmware release from the
"fat" previous version that does include such option?
-What if you take the HD from a "fat" PS3 with Linux and plug it into
the PS3 Slim?

If anyone on this list is experienced with running Fedora on the PS3,
I'd like to know more about these issues. TIA...

FC