F11: Fedora Eclipse: SVN fails to connect to any svn repository: Hangs.

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Aug 27 02:34:49 UTC 2009

On 08/26/2009 02:13 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 08/26/2009 01:46 PM, Andrew Overholt wrote:
>> * Daniel B. Thurman<dant at cdkkt.com>  [2009-08-26 16:45]:
>>> have to figure out if I can downgrade from v1.6x to v1.4x,
>>> which may not be possible or is it?
>> I don't know.  If it's important, I suggest asking the subversion
>> maintainer.
>>
>> Glad you got things straightened around,
>>
>> Andrew
>
> Ok, here is what I did:
>
> 1) yum remove eclipse-subclipse eclipse-svnkit
> 2) Added http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.4.x to update list,
>     unchecked v1.6x tigris site
> 3) Commited the update, and got:
>
> Cannot complete the request.  See the details.
> Unsatisfied dependency:
> [org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.graph.feature.feature.group 1.0.7]
> requiredCapability: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu/org.eclipse.gef/3.2.0
> Unsatisfied dependency:
> [org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.graph.feature.feature.group 1.0.7]
> requiredCapability: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu/org.eclipse.draw2d/3.2.0
> Unsatisfied dependency:
> [org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.graph.feature.feature.group 1.0.7]
> requiredCapability: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu/org.eclipse.draw2d/3.2.0
> Unsatisfied dependency:
> [org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.graph.feature.feature.group 1.0.7]
> requiredCapability: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu/org.eclipse.gef/3.2.0
>
> so what can I do to remove the above conflicts in order
> to resolve the commit?  Looks to me that it is the GEF,
> DRAW components that are the problems and does not
> appear that it is possible to downgrade these?
>
> Looks to me that I am entering into 'uncharted waters' here!
> Perhaps it's just not worth it, I dunno.
>
> BTW: I forgot to add that when subclipse v1.6x tries to access
>          a 1.4x repository - it "hangs", so there probably should
>          be code to handle this case.  I also note that in F11,
>          clicking the X (terminate) button on the window does
>          not work - so that may mean the terminate handler does
>          not work?
>
> Dan

Ok, after painstaking work, I finally have gotten F11-eclipse
to work with v1.4x repositories.

The steps:

1) Remove subclipse v1.6x if installed w/:
     yum remove eclipse-subclipse svnkit

2) Make sure that most of all of the eclipse-* packages
     are installed - but not all.  If you install all of the
     eclipse-* packages you may run into problems as
     for me, eclipse would not launch.  I don't know which
     eclipse package causes this.  I avoided eclipse-nls*,
     eclipse-epic, eclipse-findbugs-contrib, eclipse-valgrind

3) Startup eclipse, then add: http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.4.x
     to the software install list, then select all items under
     the v1.4x category.

There is one snag left for me: I cannot get Eclipse's Ganymede
to launch - it hangs, nothing I have tried fixes this.  F11-Eclipse &
Galileo works fine.

Note1: If you reinstall F11-Eclipse after breaking it, make darn
sure that you blow away /usr/share/eclipse - there are "stuff there"
that somehow prevents F11-Eclipse from starting up - perhaps
old & corrupted files left behind after a F11-Eclipse corruption?
Also - you may be advised to first use Add & Remove package
installer - choose everything related to Eclipse there, then use
the above yum install for the rest of the packages.  This works
for me but it may because I yum install *eclipse*, not sure.

Note2: the very odd things about Ganymede was, at first it worked,
then after fuddling with F11-Eclipse and screwing it up, Ganymede
stopped working.

Cheers,
Dan