DHCP configuration question

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 27 03:24:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 14:18 -0700, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
> Ok, dumb question, but given that my
> /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.lease info shows that I'm clearly
> getting a hostname and domain name, why does "hostname" return
> localhost.localdomain (and "domainname" returns "(none)")?
>
> What do I need to enable to make this work?

Working DNS or hosts file?  It's common for many clients to just request
an IP, then use name resolution to work out the names (i.e. it's not
getting the hostname and/or domain name through DHCP, as well).

i.e. DHCP server says you are 192.168.1.1  (for example)
     You do reverse DNS lookup on 192.168.1.1 and find the name for that IP.

My LAN uses a DHCP server, integrated with a DNS server, and I've yet to
come across a client that doesn't work (Windows or Linux), and I've yet
to come across one that needed me to configure the client in any way.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.