dovecot update warning

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Aug 27 23:23:29 UTC 2009

jack craig wrote:
> On 08/25/2009 07:30 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>
>> That was my thought as well, the issue isn't totally simple, but this
>> appears to be something that fold follow the path:
>>   working_mail -> apply Fedora RPM -> lost mail
>> It's desirable to make that "the path less traveled" because lost mail
>> is always something a user or admin remembers as something they REALLY
>> don't like about a distribution.
>>
> Please keep in mind that not everyone lost mail for this update.

Does that mean it isn't a bug if it doesn't hit everyone? Not everyone lost data
due to write ordering issue in ext4 either, but it was deemed desirable to make
some small changes to the implementation to significantly reduce to chance of
that happening.

The point I am making is that a bug which causes lost data is far more upsetting
than one which causes a system crash. People are still in chat rooms saying that
they lost data using ext4 and discouraging its use. We should be discussing how
to avoid the problem, not if it is a "bug" or a "design characteristic."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>