Can we have different desktop backgrounds for different workspaces

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 28 14:55:16 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> OK - I get testy before breakfast.
>>>
>>> I'd forgotten how I did it.  You may remember that I said a long time ago
>>> that you could do it in Activities, but not in desktops.  Now you combine
>>> the two.
>>>
>>> Use the desktop cashew to zoom out > create an Activity for each desktop
>>> that you want - IOW 4 desktops = 4 Activities >  Configure each Activity
>>> with the wallpaper you want.  Go back to your first Activity and zoom in
>>> - you are back where you started.
>>>
>>> Now go to each desktop, zoom out, set one Activity to use that desktop,
>>> zoom in.  Do this for each desktop.  Now you can use your desktops just
>>> as you always did, but each has settings that are independent of each
>>> other.
>>>
>>> Takes a few minutes to set up, but from then on it's as easy as it always
>>> was.
>>>
>> Well, now I have a new problem.  I have three desktops that each have a
>> different image on the background.  This is good.  My fourth desktop also
>> has a different image on it (again, this is good), BUT all the plasmoids
>> have dissappeared from it!
>>
>> Actually, it is more like this:
>> Desktop 1: All the plasmoids have dissappeared.
>>
>> Desktop 2: All the plasmoids remain on the desktop, but in different
>> positions and different sizes.
>>
>> Desktop 3: one of the plasmoids has actually become the size of the entire
>> desktop (with no way to resize it) and the other plasmoids are still there,
>> and can be resized and moved around just like a "normal" plasmoid.
>>
>> Desktop 4: Same as Desktop 2
>>
>> OK, I just discovered that one of the desktops had been changed to "Folder
>> View" (That would have been Desktop 3)  So, after changing that back to
>> "Desktop View", Desktops 2, 3 & 4 now have all the original plasmoids.
>> Unfortunately, like mentioned above, they were randomly rearranged, and I
>> will also have to resize them.
>>
>> Desktop 1 still is nothing but a blank image.  All the plasmoids had
>> dissappeared.
>>
>> Anyway, I need to get to work now :)
>>

> They are now Activities, not simple Desktops.  Before, plasmoids were on all
> desktops, but if you want your desktops for different purposes you probably
> neither need nor want all on every desktop.  Activities are independent.  On
> each desktop place the plasmoids that fit the kind of work you do on that
> desktop. :-)

I suppose that at one time or another I will achieve what I am after.
Yet, to have learn all this "activities" / "plasmoid" / "activities"
stuff seems to be much more complicated than it needs to be....

Just seem like a whole lot of crap to me....

(Full disclosure....I have had too many G&T's tonight)....

But, if it takes me multiple steps and non-intuitive logic to reach my
goal then I consider it a FAIL....

Ed

--
Man's reach must exceed his grasp, for why else the heavens?
Mei-Mei.Greshko at greshko.com http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg