Anyone using Skype on FC11 ?

Ryan Lynch ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:11:42 UTC 2009

>  sudo wget -O /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-skype
>> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD66B746E
>>
>> sudo wget -O /etc/yum.repo.d/skype.repo
>> http://fedorasolved.org/multimedia-solutions/skype.repo

Also, have you tried Skype for MID, yet?  I think the version is 3.0.0.93,
but I'm not sure whether that's in the same version # scheme as regular
Skype.  It's a modifed client intended for Linux MIDs (Mobile Internet
Devices).

 * http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-mid

I am running it now, on Fedora 11, and it works pretty well with my Logitech
QuickCam 9000 USB.  It seems to like PulseAudio, after I uncommented and
changed some settings.

 * high-priority = yes
 * nice-level = 3
 * default-fragments = 8
 * default-fragment-size-msec = 5

You may not need all of those, I'm not 100% sure which ones solved my
problems.  (Basically, I was getting sound so choppy that it sounded like
short, sharp bursts of static--totally unusable.)  After changing settings,
do a `killall pulseaudio`, and then restart your client apps (pulseaudio
should be automatically restarted when a client requests it).

I haven't gotten around to making an F11 RPM spec file, yet, but the manual
installation is dead simple:

 * Untar to '/usr/share/skype/',
 * copy the 'skype' script 'skype.bin' binary executables to '/usr/bin', and
 * edit the 'skype' script so that it points to the correct binary path

There are a few missing features in MID, but I haven't missed them.

-Ryan