thunderbird master security device [solved]

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Sat Aug 29 04:19:08 UTC 2009

On 08/28/2009 07:08 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 08/28/2009 09:51 PM, Skunk Worx wrote:
>
>> Edit->Preferences->Security->Passwords shows "Use Master Passwords"
>> checked. I can't uncheck it; it wants the "old" password and I never set
>> it.
>
> Its not checked for me.....  I'm not sure what you've done.

Mostly solved. Fortunately I don't use anything complex for authentication.

Here is the article explaining how to reset the master password in
Firefox, T-bird, etc. :

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password#Resetting_the_master_password

I used :

Choose Tools – Error Console, paste the expression:

openDialog("chrome://pippki/content/resetpassword.xul")

...and press the Evaluate button. That will open a dialog asking you if
you want to reset your password.

There is a note on the page indicating that FF can get into a state
where the Master Password is set to an erroneous or invalid value.

Since I did nothing but yum update and reboot yesterday, I guess t-bird
has a similar issue.

---
John