F11 OS Instability? Twice now, the system locks out!

brian fedora at logi.ca
Sat Aug 29 18:55:52 UTC 2009

On 08/29/2009 01:39 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> The last time I had a system lock-out was several
> weeks ago, and just today, I experienced another.
>
> I tried to access the system locally via the keyboard,
> no response. Mouse, same. Remotely, not responding,
> all remote connections, ports, etc. Not there.
>
> Darn! hard reboot.
>
> So, I looked at the system messages logs:
>
> Aug 29 01:08:11 gold pulseaudio[7453]: alsa-sink.c: Increasing wakeup
> watermark to 125.99 ms
> Aug 29 10:14:32 gold kernel: imklog 3.22.1, log source = /proc/kmsg
> started.
>
> Yep, there is a 9 hour gap of no activity. It looks
> like the system went to sleep just like I did when
> it was time for bed. I got up this morning, but my
> system never woke up. Lazy basta... oh, sorry.
> It died.
>
> Well, what else can I do, there seems to be no way
> to figure out what is going on, if there is no record
> of it!

It's locked up on me about a half dozen or so times in the past week.
Additionally, the box suspends at random times[1] (it's not a laptop)
and cannot be brought back out of it.

Also, Thunderbird and Firefox occasionally cannot display certain images
properly[2] and Thunderbird crashes if I try to paste text that's been
copied from either the terminal or jEdit. Yup, lots of nasty bugginess.
I don't know what else to check and don't think I can deal with this
much longer.

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-August/msg02112.html
[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2009-August/msg01845.html