Multiple IP addresses without aliasing?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Aug 29 20:18:57 UTC 2009

Ryan Lynch wrote:
> On 2009-08-29, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>> Note, adding a address via "ip" works in some odd ways you might not expect,
>> and
>> you have to set up routing by hand as well. What is wrong with the alias
>> method
>> which works for the rest of us?
>

> I'm aware of the differences in how iproute2 constructs interfaces,
> and the command syntax, (I do a lot of rule-based routing work), but I
> appreciate the concern.
>
> I can believe that you've never encountered an application or
> situation where aliased interfaces become awkward.  I didn't think it
> was asking a lot, to believe me that they do exist.  But it sounds
> like maybe you don't, so here goes:
>
>  * Have you ever tried versioning your system/build configurations in SVN?
>  * And did any of those system/build configurations include
> 'ifcfg-eth0:0'-style alias config files?
>  * And then, did you try checking out those config SVN repos, for
> developer access, on Windows workstations?

I can assure you that my last Windows work was on Win-3.5 and that I would not
in any event ever be checking out Linux developer files on a Windows
workstation. I actually can't imagine those config files being useful on
Windows, but if your point was that I don't share the problem, you're right, and
thank God for it.

> If you don't have that experience, or something similar, then I can
> understand why you don't appreciate my grumbling over a "method which
> works for the rest of us."

But now you have gotten to the real heart of the matter, which is not the
aliases at all, but the filenames, if I read it correctly. And that opens up a
whole can of solutions, depending on the part of Windows which is upset with the
colon. Not knowing where the problem lies, I can't offer the slightest help, but
there are other shells for Windows if the problem lies there, or whole Linux
versions running in VM, paravirtualized, under qemu, or as a microkernel using
colinux.

Your problem, if I understand it, is a Windows problem, not Fedora.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>