No IPv6 traffic

Michael Fleming mfleming at thatfleminggent.com
Sun Aug 30 08:12:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:16:52 -0400
Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 08/29/2009 08:15 PM, Michael Fleming wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:26:06 -0400
> > Jim<mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:

<snip

> > Michael.
> >

> Well Mr Fleming it takes care of the problem until someone figures
> out the real problem.

Except that it doesn't and you haven't read a single word I've written.

Turning off IPv6 lookups for one application doesn't solve the issue at
all, just acts as a placebo at the absolute best. Your "turn off lookups
for AAAA/IPv6 records" so-called solution is in the long term worse
than useless - and I'm being quite charitable here.

The OP has loaded the IPv6 modules - this will ready the kernel for
IPv6 traffic and allocate link-local IPv6, but does not connect the
host to the public IPv6 network out of the box.

This is normal behaviour for most if not all Linux distributions
released in the last few years and even Windows XP and later for that
matter. The workstation I'm sitting at for instance (F11/x86_64) has
that precise configuration (my servers are fully IPv6 capable)

You will get a globally routable address via a 6to4 tunnel (see the
documentation reference I wrote earlier) or a tunnel broker like Sixxs
or Hurricane Electric (he.net) - some network providers/ISPs even offer
native connectivity; it never hurts to ask.

As for the OP's issue I am very sure that it is a more general DNS
resolution problem, given that (for example) mirrors.ucr.ac.cr has no
AAAA record, and the single A record pointing to 163.178.174.25 from
where I sit. If the OP is seeing differently then it confirms my theory.

Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at thatfleminggent.com> - (EMail/XMPP/Jabber)
WWW: http://www.thatfleminggent.com