no medium xterm font (fwd)

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Aug 30 20:14:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009, stan wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:43:30 -0500 (CDT)
> Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

>> No two fonts have the same height.
>> Until I understand what's going on, I really don't dare tinker.
>
> Why not?  I don't understand what harm this does.  Are you restricted
> for space?  I installed all the available font packages on my system, and

I'm afraid of breaking something.
"breaking" includes making it harder for
me to fix or for others to help me fix.
My fonts technically are not broken,
but from my point of view, they need fixing.

> ran through them trying each one until I found a combination of font,
> characteristics (bold, regular, italic) and size that I liked.  Then I
> made that the default.  I did this for the terminals under X, and gvim.
> As I recall, there were many fixed width fonts.

How?
I presume I can download all the fonts I want.
How do I tell xterm to use the fonts I want?

For that matter, how do I tell what fonts xterm is using now?

>> What's going on?
>>

> I expect that because there aren't the restriction of the console, the
> fonts for the terminal are a little more freeform.

What restrictions?

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.