was: Anyone using Skype on FC11 ? Now SkypeGripe

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Mon Aug 31 00:13:53 UTC 2009

On 08/30/2009 06:24 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 15:07 -0700, jack craig wrote:
>
>> is the source open anywhere?
>>
> It's a closed source application.  That, and the various discovered
> nasties (never mind the ones that haven't, yet, been discovered, because
> it's closed source), are why it's not well regarded here.

Regardless, its what people use and Open Source doesn't communicate with
it without pain.
Ekiga won't let me talk to the people I need to talk to.
I need alternatives and haven't got the time to search for them.

Skype charges 31 cents to dial and talk on a land line phone for as long
as you like.
AOL which somehow arrived thru Ekiga/Aim charges 17 cents per minute, -
Greed exemplified.

There is an app that supposedly lets Ekiga talk to skype but the cost
for domestic -to phone- calls is not on their page.
I use only Open Source but for the next 3 years I need to talk to
certain people so closed source becomes my grudging alternative.

<Rant - Gripe>
I am annoyed with skype and I haven't used it yet.
Why?
---Because it doesn't find 5 people with skype names in it's database
who have used it for the last 5+ years.
These have long time skype addresses but which cannot be entered in to
my contact list. This is crap.
---Because, while sound works I can't hear or talk to callers. This
apparently because skype doesn't talk through alsa only through OSS --
yes I have alsa-oss installed according to Yum
---Because skype help is not helpful.
</Rant - Gripe>

Open source please.
Has anyone got skype working on Fedora 11?
I thought I did but was wrong.
Roger