Anyone using Skype on FC11 ?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Aug 31 01:33:22 UTC 2009

On Sunday 30 August 2009, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 17:54 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 15:07 -0700, jack craig wrote:
>> > is the source open anywhere?
>>
>> It's a closed source application.  That, and the various discovered
>> nasties (never mind the ones that haven't, yet, been discovered, because
>> it's closed source), are why it's not well regarded here.
>
>Not to defend Skype, but let's keep a sense of proportion. Is the *phone
>system* open source? Is it free from bugging?
>
>(BTW there is no evidence to suggest that Skype conversations can be
>overheard, as long as both ends are secured. That doesn't mean they
>can't be, but the balance of probabilities seems to be against it for
>the time being. Note that traffic analysis is another matter).
>
>poc

Sorry Patrick, but our govco snoops have been bragging they have skype
decoded now for about 2 years.  And I assume skype has been changing things
too, but whatever one group can do, another group can undo.  Its just the
nature of the internet for that to happen.  I don't have the talent to decode
it, but there are plenty who do.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
		-- Pink Floyd