Anyone using Skype on FC11 ?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 05:17:53 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 21:33 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Sorry Patrick, but our govco snoops have been bragging they have skype
> decoded now for about 2 years.

If by "decoded" you mean "payload encryption broken routinely without
the use of keyloggers or Trojans", do you have a reference?

> And I assume skype has been changing things too, but whatever one
> group can do, another group can undo.  Its just the
> nature of the internet for that to happen.

That's a seductive generalization, but it *is* a generalization. It's
meaningless without more specificity. For example, crypto is entirely
based on one group doing something which another group cannot undo with
any realistic set of resources. Yes, crypto can be poorly implemented
(which is a big argument in favour of open source) but it can also be
extremely secure if done right. Is it done right in Skype? I don't know,
but to date I know of no evidence to suggest it has problems. I'd be
interested to hear if you have any.

poc