Across Lite for F12 32-bit, an i686 vs i386 issue?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 10:07:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 23:46 +0000, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> 2009/11/30 Sam Sharpe <lists.redhat at samsharpe.net>:
> > 2009/11/30 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>:
[...]
> Actually my problem was that I naively thought that the version
> supplied on the NYT website is what you are using. It appears you are
> using this:
>
> http://www.litsoft.com/across/alite/download.htm

That's true. It's been 5 or 6 years since I did it but the binary hasn't
changed. It's dated 1997!

> To run that, I had to install:
>
> lesstif
> libXp
> libXpm
> compat-libstdc++-296

Yup, got all those.

> [sam at nc10 acrosslite1.2]$ ./acrossl
> ./acrossl: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.2.8:

The difference is that mine actually runs. It even displays the
crossword grid (with no text) and immediately segfaults. If run with no
command-line argument it starts normally and presents the File Open
dialogue. Trying to open the puzzle causes the segfault (I tried several
different puzzles just in case).

Just for the hell of it I also tried both versions from the NYT site
(one is statically linked to the Motif lib, the other is dynamic).
Interestingly, they are both different from the one I have, and neither
will even attempt to run:

$ ./acrossl
bash: ./acrossl: /lib/ld-linux.so.1: bad ELF interpreter: No such file
or directory

ldd of course doesn't help here, since it needs to run the binary.
However I suspect it wants the i386 version of glibc rather than the
installed i686 (which coincides with my original post even for the wrong
reason). I'm not sure I can even install the i386 glibc without wreaking
havoc.

> [sam at nc10 acrosslite1.2]$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.2.8
> [sam at nc10 acrosslite1.2]$ ./acrossl
> ./acrossl: symbol lookup error: ./acrossl: undefined symbol: __eh_pc
>
> That appears more googlable, but at this point I have to admit I lost
> interest...

Understandable. Thanks all the same.

> ... I prefer crosswords on Paper :o)

I don't have access to any interesting newspaper crosswords on paper, as
I live outside the distribution area of the English-language press. In
any case, some NYT clues are impossible without encyclopedic knowledge
of American sports teams and personalities, so Google is a requirement
"in extremis".

poc