OT: Linux Malware is possible? if it is :(

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Dec 2 16:29:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 11:04 -0500, Richard Heck wrote:
> As has been pointed out, however, serious damage can be done even if
> the
> cracker never gets root privileges.

Many people lose sight of the fact that their important data is in their
home directory.

If I lose /bin I can download and reinstall stuff to create it again.

If I lose my home directory, all of my data is gone and I can't just
download it from some random ftp server and reinstall.

Yet /bin is much better protected (from me) than my home directory.