How to configure Thunderbird to open pdf attachments with Okular?

Henrique Koesjan hkoesjan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:57:03 UTC 2009

Hi Paul,

I don't know if it is the best way to do that, but you can:
close thunderbird
go to:
~/.thunderbird/
there is a directory like ??????.default or other name (your profile folder).
There is a file called mimeType.rdf

make a backup of it: cp mimeType.rdf mimeType.rdf.backup
gedit mimeType.rdf

look for some lines like that:
  <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/pdf"
                   NC:prettyName=""
                   NC:path="" />

change to:
  <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/pdf"
                   NC:prettyName="okular"
                   NC:path="/usr/bin/okular" />

save and close gedit, and exit terminal.

open thunderbird, and next time you will be prompted to open, you can
choose okular and if you want memorize this decision.

hope it can help.
henrique