internet (without LAN) monthly traffic statistics

Dj YB yehielb at mail.ru
Fri Dec 4 21:43:12 UTC 2009

On Wednesday November 18 2009 17:43:29 Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Dj YB wrote:
> > hello,
> > does anyone know of a good (working) program for monthly internet usage
> > stats I need this info to stay under my monthly traffic cap.
> > I am using a single ethernet connection for LAN and internet.
> >
> > iptraf is really complicated and require too many changes,
> > vnstat doesn't support the separation using single interface...
> > any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > using Fedora 11 KDE 4.3.2
>
> I would hope that you have a firewall between your LAN and the Internet,
>  and could have it keep track. Any packet sniffing program would be more
>  complex and less effective, and if you use a switch it won't see all
>  packets anyway.
>
> Doesn't your ISP have a current volume status page? Many ISPs wo have a cap
>  make that available.

thanks all.
my ISP is my university and I can't replace it
there is a volume page but it is not updated most of the time, and it requires
login and browsing, and it is not reliable, many mistakes...
the internet\lan are on the same interface so the seperation must be ip
address based.
from what I could understand about MRTG and Cacti sites, this programs use
SNMP.
YB.