F12 Lost Gnome Panels

William Henry whenry at redhat.com
Sat Dec 5 00:38:38 UTC 2009

----- "William Witt" <william at witt-family.net> wrote:

> On 12/04/2009 09:52 AM, BeartoothHOS wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:36:52 -0500, William Witt wrote:
> > 	[....]
> >> This is probably the problem. A partial copy or corrupted .gconf
> >> directory.  So try this:
> >>
> >> -After a reboot at the login screen press Crtl+Alt F2 -Log in text
> mode
> >> with your user acct -issue the following commands
> >> mv .gconf bak.gconf
> >> mv .gconfd bak.gconfd
> >> mv .gnome2 bak.gnome2
> >> mv .gnome2_private bak.gnome2_private
> >
> > 	Very Dumb Question : are there supposed to be spaces in those
> > commands?? I thought mv took two arguments: what to move, and where
> to;
> > but I see no spaces here.
> > 	[....]
>
> There are spaces...perhaps check your font rendering.  The first one
> is:
> mv [space] .gconf [space] bak.gconf
>
> Will

This maybe the same problem I'm having (See subject"F12 upgrade on lenova - desktop issues.") Are you (Beartooth) using a docking station?

I think thi sis where F12 extends the desktop to the monitor instead of mirroring it. If you ctrl-alt and left/right arrow do you see the "useful" desktop with icons pass by?  Have you tried to reboot stand alone?

Perhaps this is not the same issue I'm having but it has similar symptoms.

William