OT?? Refusal to boot from external USB

BeartoothHOS beartooth at comcast.net
Sun Dec 6 17:46:49 UTC 2009

	My #3 PC is a handed-down Dell PowerEdge sc1420, now running F11,
which began life as a server for a list I help manage. (The list is now
hosted elsewhere.) I call it BBB (Big Black Beast), since it's so much
larger and blacker than any of my others.

	I also have a Lite-On external USB DVD-RW drive, which the BBB
sees perfectly well when it's plugged into it. I can read the files on
it, which look normal afaict -- in fact, I have installed F12 on two
other machines from the same DVD.

	And I have the boot sequence in the BIOS set to start with the
DVD drive, in order to upgrade to F12 that way. But it doesn't.

	I'm pretty sure I've installed Fedora releases on BBB before,
using the DVD drive (certainly the first one, when the it first came to
me).

	I have previously tried "preupgrade" on the BBB several times;
the grub screen now shows an F11 kernel, then the preupgrade option, then
more F11 kernels. When Anaconda starts at all, it's because I've clicked
that second (Constantine) option -- and then it hits the dread lack of
space, and aborts.

	Afaict, Anaconda never gets launched from the DVD.

	What am I doing wrong? Do I just need to get the Constantine
option out of there?

	If so, is it enough to edit /boot/grub/grub.conf? Or do I have to
find and dig out everything it refers to? Or what??