Using USB devices in VMs under KVM fc11 or fc12

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 17:55:38 UTC 2009

On Sunday 06 December 2009 16:11:11 Greg Woods wrote:
> I'm guessing I could set up a VM that has a real IP address rather than
> using NAT, but the GUIs don't generally support this and I haven't yet
> learned how to create a VM or a virtual network from the command line.
> If I did that I could possibly sync to a VM via wireless instead of USB,
> but this is now wandering far from the original question.

In VirtualBox you set this up as follows:

* open VirtualBox
* open the settings window for your VM
* go to "network", open the appropriate "adapter" tab (typically the first
one)
* set the "attached to" setting to "bridged adapter"
* click "OK"

This sets up bridged networking for your VM --- it will behave on equal
footing as the host OS itself, ie. it will request an IP from your router's
dhcp (or whatever your host OS uses to set itself up). Depending on your ISP
and local network setup, it should have a real IP as much as your host does,
and will be visible from any other machine on your LAN.

I don't remember how to do it under KVM/QEMU and VMWare, but it should also
amount of choosing "bridged" networking somewhere in some settings.

HTH, :-)
Marko