Installing Fedora-12 from USB stick

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Dec 7 13:33:56 UTC 2009

I've been trying to install Fedora-12 from a memory stick
to which I have transferred the KDE Live CD
using livecd-iso-to-disk .

The problem is that the ancient machine I am dealing with
does not support booting from the USB stick.

So following advice here, I transferred vmlinuz0 and initrd0.img
from the stick to the hard disk,
and added a stanza to grub to boot from this:
---------------------------------------
title Upgrade to Fedora-12
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /syslinux/vmlinuz0 root=/dev/sdc2
        initrd /syslinux/initrd0.img
---------------------------------------
Here /dev/sdc2 is the relevant partition on the memory stick.

This works up to a point;
but it fails (after entering the interactive stage)
when trying to check the partitions, presumably with fsck .
In particular the check on the boot partition is said to fail,
even though it boots perfectly well with this partition under F-11.

I don't understand where it gets a list of partitions to check -
it seems to be using /etc/fstab from the Fedora-11 system,
which seems illogical to me.

In any case, my query is: Is there any way of adding something
to the grub kernel line to stop partition checking?

Or is there some other trick I could apply?

I should say that this is a purely theoretical experiment;
I know there are many other ways I could install Fedora-12.
But I installed F-12 on several other machines using the USB stick,
and it would be useful to know if I could actually update
all machines in this way.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net