Getting rid of /boot

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Mon Dec 7 18:54:47 UTC 2009

On 12/04/2009 04:56 PM, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Eric Brunson<brunson at brunson.com>  wrote:
>
>> According to it's website documentation grub has supported LVM for the past
>> few minor releases.  Is there any initiative to move /boot in LVM?
>>
> Can't imagine there's any reason for it, when all you have to do is
> structure the system reasonably in the first place.  All the failed
> upgrade scenarios (why do people bother with preupgrade in the first
> place?) seem to involve people thinking they know better than the
> automated partitioning tools.
>
> Why add the complexity?

Actually, my installations all took the default 200MB /boot partition.
I use preupgrade because, in general, it's awesome.  Why don't you ask
the developers why they bothered writing it.

If the size of /boot wasn't an issue, I would have had no problems at
all with preupgrade.  As far as I'm concerned, it removes complexity.
What was most interesting to me during the investigation to a workaround
was just how simple preupgrade is.