Ath9 regression in latest kernel?

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon Dec 7 20:38:56 UTC 2009

> Since I updated to kernel-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.i686 on my EeePC 1000
> netbook, Wifi has become so unreliable as to be virtually unusable. Lost
> connections, dropped frames even when pinging the local AP, endless
> browswer waits while "Resolving host ...". The same AP supports 1 iMac,
> a Mac Mini, 3 laptops and about 6 iPhones, all with no problems, but I
> reset it anyway just in case, to no effect. I've spent a couple of days
> fraking around with NM before deciding to try rolling back to
> kernel-2.6.31.6-145.fc12.i686, which immediately solved all the
> problems.
>
> The chipset is an AR928x. Had anyone else seen this? I'll BZ if
> necessary.

Is the kernel the only thing that changed?  Try booting an older one
and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, then yes, bugzilla it
immediately.  If an updated kernel breaks something as basic as
networking, that makes it "necessary".  :-)
-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -