Latest Kernel causes reboot hell

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Dec 7 20:51:38 UTC 2009

I just wanted to add my recent experience with the new F12 kernel....

A couple of days ago, I had a PF in my area (due to the snowstorm, I
imagine).  My F12 machine (the one *not* on a UPS, yet) remained down
for a couple of days.

This morning, noting last night's updates, I rebooted it (so I could
update it!).  I used ssh and updated over the network using yum.
(I really wanted to see the "reboot hell".)  B^)

I just went to reboot it.  Since I wasn't logged into the console, I
used the GDM reboot button to reboot the system.  While it was shutting
down, it just hung.  That's when I noticed the caps-lock and scroll-lock
leds flashing in unison.  Oh, cool, I thought, a kernel panic!

When it rebooted, it booted the new kernel:
	kernel-2.6.31.6-162.fc12.i686

(I had been running kernel-2.6.31.6-145.fc12.i686 when it paniced).

The machine booted OK for me.  My surprise was when I went to look in
/var/log/messages, there was no mention of a kernel panic!
The last message was of smartd terminating.  Followed by the reboot of
the new kernel.

So, what happened?  Did my system panic?  If so, why no message in
/var/log/messages?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com