Latest Kernel causes reboot hell

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Dec 7 23:30:02 UTC 2009

Chris writes:

> On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:06:12 -0500
> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
>
>> Some time ago, in F9-F10 era, there was a consecutive series of about
>> four kernels that were released that could not boot on one of my
>> machines. Somehow, I managed to survive this traumatic experience
>> without installing a completely different distribution. I waved a
>> magic wand, and continued to boot the last working kernel, until a
>> new one came out that worked on my hardware once more.
>
> I agree - quoting from Louis Lagendijk;
>
> "The best way to avoid the problem might be to get grub to display the
> list of installed (assuming that the original F12 kernel worked for you)
> and select that kernel to boot from. Change the default line
> in /etc/grub.conf to automate that....."

It just occured to me that there may be a large number of people who are
completely unaware of the fact that they can easily boot a previous kernel.

Some time ago, someone decided to set up grub by default to hide its boot
menu, so that it boots without delay. As such, some people may not even know
about this option.

This is a perfect example of why hiding some complexity from the end user is
not always a good idea.