Cron Monthly abnormality in FC12

Joerg Bergmann email at jbergmann.de
Tue Dec 8 13:34:52 UTC 2009

Am Dienstag, den 08.12.2009, 07:59 -0500 schrieb Tom Horsley:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:14:49 +0000
> Simon Andrews wrote:
>
> > I'd suggest you remove this job from cron.monthly and put an explicit
> > entry into /etc/crontab which delivers your calendars on the first of
> > the month.
>
> Or even more effective is moving everything out of /etc/anacrontab
> to explicit entries in /etc/crontab to effectively completely disable
> the utterly worthless anacron and make all the cron jobs more reliable.

On server machines, anacron is worthless indeed. On desktop machines,
it may be useful, I cite from man anacron:
Unlike cron(8), it does not assume that the machine is running
continuously.  Hence, it can be used on machines that aren’t
running 24 hours a day, to control daily, weekly, and monthly jobs
that are usually controlled by cron.

In following, if you tell cron to run a program on first of month 1:00
pm and the PC is switched off at that time, the program will not run
for that month at all. If you tell anacron to run the program monthly,
it will run the program at an appropriate time the PC is switched on.

Joerg