Latest Kernel causes reboot hell

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Dec 9 12:13:30 UTC 2009

Ian Malone writes:

> Yes, it does look more polished the way it is now, but what used to be
> really obvious (especially to someone who has always run dual boot
> set-ups), that you can boot an earlier kernel, is now an obscure piece
> of knowledge.  Suggestions:
> 1. The grub boot screen should have an explicit message to this effect.
> 2. (More difficult to implement), autodetect failures to boot and
> explicitly offer the user the alternatives. (A la Windows, not
> everything they do is bad.)

I think there's a way to install a one-time only grub configuration file,
for the next boot. I'm not sure how it's done now, but I think suspend to
disk worked this way before, to have grub boot some loader that restores the
suspended image into ram. If restore failed, the next boot loaded the usual
kernel.

The kernel update can do that, and a start up script that runs at the end of
the boot cycle then commit the permanent configuration file, at the tail end
of the next boot.