How to enable surround 5.1 output on laptop

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Dec 10 19:55:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 14:12:51 -0500,
  Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> When ALSA first came out the channels could be changed in a GUI, now
> one must be root and edit text files to accomplish the same thing.
> And in a world where laptops are more common all the time, and
> better hardware is a dock or a plug away, instead of making the
> process as automated as plugging in a USB keyboard or a network
> cable.

While I don't have any surround stuff myself, I do see that sound preferences
allows for multiple profiles for a single device. (I have some headsets that
can have profiles with or without a mic and digital or analog output.)
Maybe there is a profile for surround devices to enable or disable the
full complement of speakers?