Domain of sender address ... does not exist

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Dec 11 09:32:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 10:14 -0800, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
> his message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

> recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es)
> failed:
>
>   philipp... at redfish-solutions.com
>     (generated from xyzzy at users.sourceforge.net)
>     SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT
> TO:<philipp... at redfish-solutions.com>:
>     host mail.redfish-solutions.com [66.232.79.143]:
>     553 5.1.8 <philipp... at redfish-solutions.com>... Domain of sender
> address philipp... at redfish-solutions.com does not exist
>
> This is on an externally generated email that is coming into my domain
> (redfish-solutions.com). The mailbox name is valid (it's been munged
> here to protect against spam address harvesters).

Well, according to my quick test, using the "dig" tool, that domain
doesn't exist.  Though, a whois check shows that it does.  So, somewhere
there's a problem with your public domain records.  The dig tool might
help you sort out where (you can query different DNS servers with it).

 dig redfish-solutions.com
gets no answer

But this does:
 dig redfish-solutions.com MX