The Phantom Update

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Thu Dec 10 21:43:44 UTC 2009

On 12/11/2009 06:39 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 12/11/2009 07:24 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> A tiny orange octogon keeps popping up on my toolbar. Mousing over it
>> brings up a tooltip bubble: "There is 1 update available".
>>
>> Clicking on the icon runs gpk-update-viewer, which immediately tells me
>> that no updates are available. Closing packagekit brings the orange
>> octogon back.
>>
>> This has been going on for about three days now.
>>
> File a bug report against gnome-packagekit. Seems to be a recurring bug.
>
> Rahul

May I suggest going into <system><administration><software updates> and
seeing how many updates there are.
install them all or ones you think are needed and see if the problem
goes away.
I had that problem because  some kanji or kohni font or what ever it was
wasn't installed. I will never use the offending font.
I let it install and the problem hasn't recurred.
Roger