corrupt file system

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 12:10:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Christian Langer <
clanger.christian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I can't recall the exact error message. It doesn't happen every time
> I boot. However, I did indeed get sent to the root shell. I googled the
> message last nite and found an entry said try fsck. I did, and got the
> reply, "Running fsck on a mounted disk can severely damage your filesystem,
> do you want to continue? I said no.

So run it with the filesystem unmounted. The usual way to do this is by
booting in single-user mode. If it's the root filesystem that's dodgy,
boot from a rescue disk to check it (you can do this anyway of course).

poc

PS And please don't top-post your replies. See the list Guidelines.