Using USB devices in VMs under KVM fc11 or fc12

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Dec 11 17:01:19 UTC 2009

Greg Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 13:42 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> On my system, I turn off NetworkManager and build (by hand) a ifcfg-br0
>> script to define the bridge, and make ifcfg-eth0 part of the bridge, moving
>> all IPADDR and such parameters to the bridge.
>
> This was going to be my next step. I actually did get it to work with
> manual configuration, but then I realized it won't do me any good anyway
> because my desktop workstation is on the other side of the corporate
> firewall from the wireless network, so I can't connect my Palm to my
> desktop via the network anyway.
>
> Anybody had any success getting USB devices to work on the virtual
> machines in KVM (back to the original question)? I can go through the
> process of attaching it to the virtual machine (it is seen by the
> virt-manager), but this doesn't appear to actually work. Windows doesn't
> see it and only the USB subsystem ever shows up in the virtual machine
> details page.

Can't help, I run KVM from the command line, with scripts. My KVM usage predates
libvirt by a good bit, and I have it all working and don't want to spend time
evaluating libvirt vs. the competition.

If you run my script you should be able to start a machine from cli and try the
usb stuff. It's on my list for fc12 testing, but I'm very busy now and can't
take on anything I can't do while my printer runs.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>