Domain of sender address ... does not exist

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 12 13:17:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 16:24 -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> Even if there's no website, there needs to be an "A" record. Since
> it's a valid domain.

Well, at least for the FQDNs that they're actually making using, such as
the ones the MX records point to (and they do).  There are records for
both "mail" and "www" subdomains.

There probably should be an A record for just the domain name, but I've
not looked into the specs about this for a long time, and I'm not
willing to go by memory.

> I would guess they're trying to set up an email-only domain
> and some mail servers don't like that.

Ugh.  Having to pander to things stuffed up by other people.

> Just leave the "parked" website up and running at your registrar and
> that might work.

There's no real (proper) need to have any website attached to a domain
name, no website address, no webserver.

Even if you're going to pander to stupid services, you should only need
to set up the right domain records, but not actually have a webserver.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.