Booting sparkly new F12 install, error 13 from grub.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 12 16:40:42 UTC 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009, Tim wrote:
>On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 10:35 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> It wasn't just slow graphics Tim.  It was
>> ssssssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooo
>>oowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
>
>I was forgetting the other common reason for that sort of thing:  Not
>enough RAM, and everything is being paged.
>
>I have seen slow graphics, thanks to bad drivers or basic VESA drivers.
>Painfully slow, but your issue sounds worse.  Likewise, name resolution
>can be a problem of causing things to take ages to start, but usually
>they run fine once they've started.
>
>> However that might be a clue of sorts as it had to search and find my
>> router to even get a network connection & use dhcp to get an ip
>> address.  I have been using static hosts based addressing on the local
>> net here for a decade, and its NOT on the 192.168.1 subnet.  But I
>> didn't try to kill nm forever and reconfigure the networking for
>> static as it would have taken several hours at the speed it was
>> running.
>
>Can you change network hardware around?  I've recently had the woes of
>diagnosing a dying network when the modem was plugged in, upsetting all
>sorts of things.  Turned out it was the network switch.  It looked like
>something else, as the problem went and came when the modem was removed
>and reconnected.  But a swapover of different parts, in turn, proved the
>problem was the switch in the middle.

But everything works fine for F10.  And I've blown that dog slow POS install
away anyway. 64 bit mdv doesn't do that but I do have other problems with the
politics of mdv, and running right from the cd, 64 bit Mint8 is 10x faster!

Now I'm playing at trying to get a Mint8, 64 bit install to boot from a hard
drive, but I'm finding that the fedora grub, and its ever so helpful grub2
are both lacking any ability to boot anything but fedora, everything else is
either error 13, invalid file format, or error 15, file not found.  Also, the
update-grub2 script that searches the system and writes a
/boot/grub2/grub.cfg file, can see a 64 bit mdv install on sdd, but cannot
boot it although a regular grub-0.97 stanza boots it just fine, and doesn't
even see a Mint8 64 bit boot on sdb.

Tim, if this is fedora's version of vendor lock-in, it is NOT pretty.  This
duck waddles & quacks like some of Microsofts dirty tricks.

 And right now I am not a happy camper.  To have the comment about its being
slow virtually ignored for nearly a week now, and then to blame external
hardware, simply doesn't grok.   So I guess I'll wait for a respin, or dig
out a paddle and go find another dock to fish from.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

What would you expect to gain from XIP besides being buzzword
compliant?

	- Erik Mouw on linux-arm-kernel