Install on new computer keeping OEM OS

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 18:38:02 UTC 2009

Hello!

I just got a brand-new machine with Windows 7 pre-installed on its
massive hard drive. Of course, Fedora is more my style, but I'd like
to keep the original OS intact and dual boot.

My question is this then: How safe is it really to allow the installer
to resize the existing partition with Win7 already there? I saw that
it had the option, but I was terrified to try it.

At this point, I've never booted the OEM hard drive. I just
immediately plugged in the drive from my previous computer and booted
F11 to check for basic hardware compatibility, so the machine's drive
is yet-untouched.

-Alan