Request for Input on Creating Linux Courses...

Chris Byrd cbyrda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 19:11:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Michael D. Setzer II
<mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:

> The Ideal is to over a beginning Linux course, and an second level course as
> a start. In the networking class, I have one 4 hour section where the students
> go thru the installation of various Linux OS's,  and they can use the Fedora,
> but many students still stay with windows.
>
> Was wondering if people on the list might have some knowledge of material
> that would best meet the needs of a community college program.

What exactly are "the needs of a community college program", exactly
what would be the focus of each of the two classes?

Assuming that the first class is an introduction of Linux usage (as
opposed to programming tools/concepts, internals/architecture etc), I
think there should at least be some discussion of the similarities and
differences of  Linux as related to other OS'es the students will be
familiar with i.e. OS X and Windows.  A survey of popular Linux
applications in various domains i.e. Media players, Web Browsers, Mail
clients, Office software would help.  I also think that an
introduction to certain mailing lists/forums/IRC chats is called for
as these will likely be the first step in support for a new Linux
user.