Fedora on Macbook Air?

Peter Danenberg pcd at roxygen.org
Sun Dec 13 01:43:01 UTC 2009

Quoth Colin Paul Adams on Sweetmorn, the 54th of The Aftermath:
> Can you sketch the details of this reformatting exercise please?

I'm not sure if the formatting is, strictly speaking, necessary; but
here's how I got Fedora 12 installed on the second-gen Air:

  1. Used the Disk Utility on the OS X Install DVD to erase all the
     partitions; see, e.g.:

       http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/partitioning_tiger.html

     for details.

  2. Installed Fedora 12 with the following boot parameters:

       intel_iommu=off vga=771

     I find it interesting that it worked for you out of the box; with a
     first-gen Air, I was forced to use:

       xdriver=vesa acpi=off

  3. At this point, you should have a successful installation which
     fails to boot; if so, boot from a rEFIt[1] CD and run gptsync
     from the Partitioning Tool.

It's possible that only step 3 is applicable to you, if indeed you
have a successful installation.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://refit.sourceforge.net/