F12 installation woes with DVD plus online repositories

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 13 23:22:25 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Fedora 12 with the installation DVD plus
downloading extra packages and updates with an Internet connection to
the online repositories for extra packages and updates. However, the
speed of the installation process is seriously troubling me.

I know that yum is set up to randomly select mirrors for downloads of
updates and post-main-installation... isntallation... of other packages
selected to be installed through GNOME Package Kit. Would Anaconda use
mirrors to download the packages in my case, or are they all coming off
of the Fedora Project servers? Would I be better off downloading the
updates and extra packages later then?

Thanks,
William