F11 iptables can't disable

KC8LDO kc8ldo at arrl.net
Mon Dec 14 15:01:31 UTC 2009

Marko;

The GUI doesn't ask for the root password, and some of the other setups
don't either. I had to go to the menus and modify them to use (su -c
"application")  and open the application in a terminal window to get a root
password entered when I want to change something. All of the machines I use
run VNC on my home LAN and it seems a bunch of stuff doesn't work right like
this.

I have a hardware firewall running in front of all of my machines so I
normally don't want one running locally. I want the firewall to pass all
packets with no filtering. Yes I can use "service iptables stop" at the CLI
but the firewall is right back again with filtering when I reboot the
machine. I can see a bunch of filter rules are loaded when I check it so I
know my settings were not respected. I have a FC3, FC5 and a F8 box that
does NOT do this. Even F12 respects the settings, the F11 box does not.

Samba browsing doesn't work on F11 either but seems to work fine on the F12
box, along with the others just fine, and they are setup the same pretty
much as far as samba configuration goes. I can get in to the F11 box to the
file shares from another computer but browsing from the F11 box for file
shares on other computers doesn't work. Somebody else on this list was
having just the reverse problem with their F11 box too. Neither one of us
has figured out why this is happening yet. The F11 box just doesn't want to
play nice.

The F12 box has frequent dialog box messages waiting for me when I fire up
my VNC viewer to get on the machine. The dialog box message says something
about an authorization failure while the details section doesn't say what
application, service etc caused it, a total waste and absolutely of no use.
So far I have no idea why this is occurring.

I've noticed that the last couple releases of Fedora has gone down hill in
stability and usability when trying to run the system remotely using VNC.
Seems like few people use it the way I do. I run all my machines primarily
as headless work stations. I use VNC on the local LAN from a laptop to get
in to each machine or using putty (ssh) on the Internet while tunneling VNC
through it. Each machine has a different ssh port setup on it, and a fixed
IP, while the router has port forwarding set up to forward the given ssh
port to the right machine. This way I can access any machine on my LAN by
using a different ssh port setting. None of the machines use the standard
ssh port however. Not having things work right or as expected using a VNC
setup is a real deal buster for me. I'm thinking about dumping F11.

Regards;

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

The right to practice in one's chosen profession is a Constitutional liberty
[Gibson v. Berryhill, 411 U.S. 564, 571 (1973)] that is violated by visas
that force Americans to train their foreign replacements or otherwise
result in displacement by foreign workers.